Wednesday 1 December 2010

Bubble bioreactors - which slide? And notes on costs.

Posted by Stella Kin

Advantages of using bubble column bioreactors

Chris, I'm not entirely sure yet if I should squeeze this into the slide when I talk about the manufacturing process, or whether we should use this when we compare our proposal to other competitors.

If we can find a cost for these bioreactors, it will be worth comparing it to open pond 'raceways' which cost $100,000 to $200,000. I read somewhere that they are the only cost-effective way to produce biofuels currently (the problem with them being contamination, land area required, difficulty in controlling conditions, upscaling etc, etc.) Whereas cost of bubble reactors are 'low' - best I can find on google so far. Also

Link to the sale of second hand bioreactors. I'm uncertain that these are what we're looking for, but I think it at least shows that the second hand cost is in the thousands.

The rest of my photobioreactor research is here. 

Repost of a link to the University of Newcastle website who were awarded £750,000 for an algae biofuel project. I imagine it's to use over several years? I think this may be the best way to estimate contracting out GM - from research grants to universities. And I would guess doing it privately will be more expensive? I'll attempt to find the name of that company we can sub-contract the GM to.

Plus another link to microbubble reactors. We may have to buy patents as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment